Sunday, October 17, 2004

Outdoor Party Gig

Tonight was an outdoor party our bass player has every year and we play it every year. This year, though, he dedicated it to his newphew, who just got back from Iraq. So, his nephew was there, and his nephew's entire company of Marines. So, anyway, I had been requested to do a version of The Star Spangled Banner at the end of our second set. I was kind of worried that it might seem a little trite, but I said "okay". Now, really, it's a pretty boring song to play - making it interesting is all in the presentation. I took some ideas from Hendrix, and effected the hell out of it. So I go to play, and I'm expecting to do a little solo piece. What actually happened was that the entire company of Marines came up on stage, and started singing along.
Apparently, they liked it.

There was all kinds of other standard party action - keg stands, shots, a bonfire, fireworks, and the eventual appearance of the police. Wouldn't have been a party without them...

No comments: