Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Recorded some Christmas Songs

A rare bit of studio activity to post. Had some really nice ladies in on November 27th to record some Christmas-y songs on piano and vocals. I had just gotten the Yamaha C7's tuning touched up the week before, so it was sounding great. First time recording it in the new room, and it sounded beautiful.

We did five songs in total - three with vocals and two just piano. I used the Neumann U87 for the vocals, and started out with a pair of Audio Technica AT3035's for the piano, but ended up switching to the Oktava MC-012's before we got going. They just seemed to be capturing the detail of the piano better.

Preamp for the U87 was my trusty Great River MP-2NV, and an ART TPS-II for the piano. The Great River is very precise sounding and a good match with the Neumann, while the ART is good for putting a little softer edge on the piano.

I didn't have anything else in the signal chain going in - just mics > preamps > Pro Tools. On the mixdown, I did add a little bright plate reverb to the vocals, but I left the piano pretty much alone, save for flipping the phase on one of the piano tracks.

The U87/MP-2NV pairing is my go-to for vocal tracking. The combination gives some really nice, crisp sounding vocals that are just so easy to fit into the mix. I've never once had a problem using that setup getting the vocal to sit right where I want it and still cut right through. I also can't say enough good things about Fletcher from Mercenary Audio, from whence I got both the Neumann and the Great River. He was great listening to what I was trying to do and giving me a recommendation that worked great for me.

No comments: