Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A "new Van Halen record"? I'll believe it when I hear it

Here's a quote from Dweezil Zappa on current Van Halen activity - which for those of you who don't follow the VH saga, is kind of linke getting news on the progress of the third Boston album.

The whole article is here:

http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/55956/dweezil-zappa-the-next-phase-of-zappa-plays-zappa.html

And here's the quote that VH fans will be interested in:

"It’s
kind of funny, because I’ve recently been spending some time with Eddie
Van Halen after being out of touch for a while. He was playing me some
new stuff from his record..."

Well, as I said, I'll believe it when I hear it. Do I hope we really are close to the first VH record in 12 years? Absolutely, but Eddie's been "working on new stuff" for at least ten years - they were in the middle of cutting the follow up to "3" when Warner Bros. pulled the plug in '99, and though Eddie has, by his own estimation about ten albums' worth of music queued up, none of it has hit the light of day.
Not that there haven't been positive signs. The '08 tour with David Lee Roth back at the VH helm went a lot better than the previous tour with Sammy Hagar, and Eddie is reported to be as clean as Eddie gets. Still, if there were Vegas odds on the release of a new record in 2010, they'd be pretty long.
I guess I'll just continue to wait and see.

No comments: